The County Assembly Speaker is elected by the MCA’s from persons who are not members of the Assembly. He/she presides over the sittings in the County Assembly, in His/her absence the Deputy Speaker stands in his/her place.
According to the County Governments Act, each County Assembly has a speaker elected by the County Assembly from among persons who are not members of the assembly. A sitting of the County Assembly is be presided over by the following:
- The Speaker of the Assembly or
- In the absence of the speaker, another member of the assembly elected by the assembly.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- The Speaker of the County Assembly shall preside over all debates of the County Assembly and enforces the observance of the Constitution, the Standing Orders, relevant statute and assembly traditions, procedures and practices.
- The Speaker administers the oath of affirmation or allegiance to Members and issues writes for vacant County Assembly seats.
- The Speaker protects the rights of the minority while making sure that the majority have their way.
- Organizing the business of the House as he/she is the Chairman of the House Business Committee.
- Spokesperson of the County Assembly and shall ensure that the dignity of the County Assembly and by extension, Assembly, is upheld and its rights and privileges are not abused.
- The Speaker is the final authority on all matters touching on the interpretation and application of the practice and procedure of Assembly at all times.